Job Title: Apparel Product Developer
Location: Meriden, CT (4 days in office, 1 day remote)
We believe success comes down to people. Since 1967, Eastern Mountain Sports has been helping people of all ages and abilities to have more fun outside. As a trusted source of top-quality outdoor gear, apparel and advice, we operate over 20 locations in twelve northeastern states, working with top active brands such as Timberland, The North Face, Columbia, Carhartt, Marmot, ON, Sorel and many more!
At Eastern Mountain Sports, we take a lot of pride in hiring people who have a genuine passion for the outdoors and the desire to inspire happiness by connecting people to nature and each other. If you've got passion for the outdoors and a commitment to the environment, an obsession for properly outfitting our customers, and a high degree of personal integrity, EMS may be the place for you.
We consider every Associate central to the success of the Company and an ambassador of the Bob’s Brand. Since 1954, Bob’s has been your local Family Footwear and Apparel Store offering competitive pricing, brands that you love with the service that you expect. We have over 20 locations in eight New England states offering a great assortment of Team, Active and Footwear for the family featuring such brands as UA, Champion, Adidas, Carhartt, Levi, and more!
Whether you work in our stores, our Distribution center or Home Office, you will have an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the people around you by inspiring happiness and enriching our communities through quality affordable products and shared values.
About the role:
This person will be a key team member of the Product Development & Sourcing team and work cross functionally with an opportunity to impact many parts of the product cycle. Our Product Development & Sourcing team needs an organized, self-starter who can dive in and contribute to the Apparel Product Development process using a broad range of skills. The team works together to meet their goals and produce products that exceed the customer’s expectations.
- Be a team player to advance company initiatives around product and branding
- Communicate with overseas factories/vendors through clear and concise emails
- Identify roadblocks, convey the issue to the appropriate person and be a part of the resolution
- Super User of Centric PLM - our Product Lifecycle Management System –for creation of styles and owner of Bill of Materials, updates, and sending tech packs to vendors
- Review Samples, Color, and Trims against desired outcome for quality and accuracy and communicate approvals/comments to vendors
- Review Fabric Testing documentation from suppliers in order to meet EMS requirements
- Review inspection documentation for pre-shipment inspections
- Review WIPS (Works in Progress) from vendors on a weekly basis, identifying concerns with production and delivery date timelines and follow up as needed. Develop and revise WIP documents as needed (Excel)
- Track Product Development Process by style from concept to commercialization (through PLM and Excel)
- Organize physical samples, submits
- Use Adobe Illustrator to create, revise trims, art files, and tech sketches if necessary
- Works with cross-functional teams to create product hangtags
- Appropriately communicate with cross functional teams and management
Experience and Qualifications:
- Apparel Product Development background preferred.
- Outstanding organization skills with attention to details to communicate with multiple factories, dual source with same style, interpret and communicate product intent and adhere to quality standards
- Ability to work proactively and problem solve
- Proficiency in Excel
- Proficiency with Adobe Illustrator
- Experience PLM systems (Centric Preferred)
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Eye for color- will be responsible for reviewing Lab Dips and sending comments to mills/factories
- Fabric /textile knowledge– knits/wovens/technical fabrics familiarity—Fabric testing experience ideal
- Ability and Eagerness to learn and work on whatever is needed in the department to meet goals and deadlines in an entrepreneurial environment
- Outdoor industry experience a plus
1. Personal Improvement & Wellbeing: We are committed to doing the work to become the best versions of ourselves physically, emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually in order to explore the world, build community, and curate living in a healthy state of joy, love and inspiration.
2. Empowered Thinking: We agree to do the work to metabolize our irrational fears so we can make rational decisions to achieve the outcomes we are looking for. This means we will be bold and courageous in failing forward, and we accept risk within well-managed parameters. The faster we hypothesize, test, validate or iterate, the sooner we succeed. There shall be no fear of rejection for speaking up; good ideas can come from anywhere; everyone has a voice; negative behaviors must be surfaced.
3. Integrity & Fairness: We seek a meritocracy where equity, inclusion, belonging, authenticity, honesty and integrity are paramount.
4. Service: We seek to deliver vastly more value than we cost and to make the world a happier place everyday.
At EMS & Bob’s Stores, we offer an industry leading benefits package that includes a variety of benefits including paid time off, health insurance, dental insurance, tax deferred retirement plans, and access to experts in preventative care. We also offer fun perks such as access to online yoga classes through YogaWorks, Access Perks discount shopping, dining and travel network, and GoDigital University, our internal training program that is hosted by industry leaders in entertainment, music and more. We also offer Vendor Training opportunities that provide generous discounts through their online sites.
EMS & Bob’s Stores are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our community. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race (or traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, reproductive health decision-making, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), sexual orientation, veteran or military status.