Job Title: Technical Designer
Employer: Eastern Mountain Sports & Bob’s Stores
Classification: Full-Time, exempt
Location: Meriden, CT
We believe success comes down to people. Since 1967, Eastern Mountain Sports has been helping people of all ages and abilities to have more fun outside. As a trusted source of top-quality outdoor gear, apparel and advice, we operate over 20 locations in twelve northeastern states, working with top active brands such as Timberland, The North Face, Columbia, Carhartt, Marmot, ON, Sorel and many more!
At Eastern Mountain Sports, we take a lot of pride in hiring people who have a genuine passion for the outdoors and the desire to inspire happiness by connecting people to nature and each other. If you've got passion for the outdoors and a commitment to the environment, an obsession for properly outfitting our customers, and a high degree of personal integrity, EMS may be the place for you.
We consider every Associate central to the success of the Company and an ambassador of the Bob’s Brand. Since 1954, Bob’s has been your local Family Footwear and Apparel Store offering competitive pricing, brands that you love with the service that you expect. We have over 20 locations in eight New England states offering a great assortment of Team, Active and Footwear for the family featuring such brands as UA, Champion, Adidas, Carhartt, Levi, and more!
Whether you work in our stores, our Distribution center or Home Office, you will have an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the people around you by inspiring happiness and enriching our communities through quality affordable products and shared values.
About the role:
The Technical Designer will work directly with the Product Development and Sourcing Team and is responsible for the execution of all technical design aspects of the product from concept and development through bulk production. This role is responsible for direct communication with factories to determine pattern, grading, and fit for production garments across multiple seasons and many style types. This position is also responsible for helping to establish and ensure quality standards that are consistent across products. The technical designer works within the team to ensure deadlines are met for delivery of a quality product.
- Interpret Designer’s development sketches into tech specifications with construction, tolerance and full grade using PLM system
- Working with factory, identify opportunities for cost improvement and material options (patterning, efficiencies)
- Ensure products are developed in a manner consistent with established fit and quality standards
- Source and schedule fit models for fit sessions—usually using Fit Model Agency
- Lead fit model sessions and take notes, photos. Live fittings are used to analyze design details and proportions, evaluate garments for correct fit and construction
- Identify potential production issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity
- Effectively communicate with overseas factories regarding construction, workmanship, and fit corrections
- Create and update Tech Packs-- including detailed technical construction and sketches, graded measurements, and workmanship comments from development to production
- Review samples within the production process—from prototype to TOP—identifying and communicating resolutions on non-compliant products. Track and manage samples with the product development team
- Track and manage workflow. Ensure seasonal deadlines are met
- Work with internal stakeholders to establish a fit-testing program to get product feedback in an efficient and timely manner
- Perform other technical design duties or product development duties as needed
- Ability to deal with a fast past environment and manage change or ambiguity
Experience and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of garment construction and manufacturing process
- Knowledge of knits and woven fabric. Experience with technical fabrics preferred
- Previous work experience in the garment industry
- Outstanding organization skills with attention to details to communicate with multiple factories, dual source with same style, interpret and communicate designer sketches and adhere to quality standards
- Ability to properly measure garments according to company or industry standards
- Strong oral and written communication skills with all levels of the company and overseas vendors
- Strong sense of teamwork and ability to multitask proactively
- Desire to trouble shoot and problem solve
- Experience in the outdoor industry a plus!
1. Personal Improvement & Wellbeing: We are committed to doing the work to become the best versions of ourselves physically, emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually in order to explore the world, build community, and curate living in a healthy state of joy, love and inspiration.
2. Empowered Thinking: We agree to do the work to metabolize our irrational fears so we can make rational decisions to achieve the outcomes we are looking for. This means we will be bold and courageous in failing forward, and we accept risk within well-managed parameters. The faster we hypothesize, test, validate or iterate, the sooner we succeed. There shall be no fear of rejection for speaking up; good ideas can come from anywhere; everyone has a voice; negative behaviors must be surfaced.
3. Integrity & Fairness: We seek a meritocracy where equity, inclusion, belonging, authenticity, honesty and integrity are paramount.
4. Service: We seek to deliver vastly more value than we cost and to make the world a happier place everyday.
At EMS & Bob’s Stores, we offer an industry leading benefits package that includes a variety of benefits including paid time off, health insurance, dental insurance, tax deferred retirement plans, and access to experts in preventative care. We also offer fun perks such as access to online yoga classes through YogaWorks, Access Perks discount shopping, dining and travel network, and GoDigital University, our internal training program that is hosted by industry leaders in entertainment, music and more. We also offer Vendor Training opportunities that provide generous discounts through their online sites.
EMS & Bob’s Stores are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our community. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race (or traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, reproductive health decision-making, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), sexual orientation, veteran or military status.